With nearly 22 million school days lost each year due to the common cold and flu (CDC) and as many as 2.7 million bacterial found per square inch on common school surfaces (NSF International), it´s no wonder that 82 percent of parents with kids in grades K-5 fret about the germs in their children´s classrooms (according to a survey conducted by Seventh Generation).
This school year, Seventh Generation is sharing tips from best-selling author and pediatrician, Dr. Alan Greene, to help parents protect their child´s health during back-to-school season. Dr. Greene suggests taking the following precautions:
Optimize the immune system
- Reap the benefits of probiotics like those found in yogurt. A recent study showed that children who received enough probiotics daily throughout the cold and flu season had a significant reduction in the number of illnesses they had and, when they did get sick, the symptoms were both milder and didn't last as long.
- Be sure your child is getting plenty of vitamin D from the sun, from food, or from a supplement.
- Build a strong foundation. Good food, good sleep, and good physical activity all help the immune system to flourish.
- Teach children the key times to clean their hands in the classroom. The most important times include after sneezing, coughing or using the restroom, upon leaving "high-risk" places (recess, naptime, play stations) and before meals or snacks.
- Sixty percent of teachers surveyed said that they request that parents donate disinfecting wipes to the classroom. Seventh Generation´s disinfecting wipes kill 99.99% of germs* naturally using the active ingredient thyme, a component of thyme oil which is derived from the herb thyme.
- Stress the importance of not touching their eyes, nose or mouth. Germs are often spread when a person touches something that is contaminated with germs and then touches his or her eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Demonstrate to your children how to cover their mouth and nose for every cough and sneeze. This simple maneuver has spectacular results in decreasing the spread of viruses and bacteria floating about the room, waiting to be inhaled.
Watch the YouTube video below to learn about the little-known history of germs.
You can enter to win the Seventh Generation "Back-to-School" kit below that includes a Seventh Generation backpack, two canisters of Seventh Generation disinfecting wipes (one for home and one to donate to your child´s classroom), disinfecting multi-surface spray cleaner, facial tissue and paper towels.
Just leave a comment below answering the following question.
- How do you keep your households clean during the school year?
Please leave your e-mail address or login to your account, so I can contact you if you win. You can leave a comment as "Anonymous" and type your e-mail address in the comment section or you can leave your first and last name in the comment section if you are a Facebook friend or fan. Just let me know, so I know how to contact you, if you win. (Your email will not be used to send spam to by us or anyone else.) The winner will be chosen by Random.org and announced on Tuesday, August 24, 2010 at 11:59pm.
If you are reading via email or a feed, please visit www.SavingQueen.com directly to leave your comments to enter the giveaway!
Disclosure: Seventh Generation sponsored this giveaway by providing me with the prize pack, information and additional prize pack for the winner through MyBlogSparkTM. I did not receive any other compensation from MyBlogSpark for reviewing these products. Pin It now!